Congress confirms Secretary of Education and overseas deputies, among others
PALIKIR, Pohnpei (FSM Congress): April 3, 2008 - The 15th Congress of the Federated States of Micronesia confirmed today the final Cabinet position for President Manny Mori, along with nominations for the overseas missions and several boards.
On the 11th Day of its Fourth Special Session, the 15th Congress confirmed 11 of the President's nominations that were placed on the day's calendar.
Topping today's confirmation lineup was Congressional Resolution (CR) no. 15-115 on Casiano Shoniber for the position of Secretary of the Department of Education. While the nominee was defeated during February's session, Congress had however authorized the resubmission of his name to the same post. Today's session confirmed Shoniber as the new Secretary of Department of Education in a vote of 10/1 and one (1) abstained vote.
Also confirmed in today's session are the nominations for the Deputy Chiefs of Mission for FSM's missions overseas:
2. Carlson D. Apis (CR no. 118), was confirmed in vote of 11/2 for the Deputy Chief of Mission of FSM's Embassy to the People's Republic of China;
3. Akillino H. Susaia (CR no. 119), in a vote of 12/0, was confirmed as the Consul General of the FSM consulate office in Hawaii;
4. Gerson Jackson (CR no. 120), was also confirmed in a vote of 12/0 as the Consul General of the FSM consulate office in Guam;
5. Renster P. Andrew (CR no. 121), was confirmed 12/0 as the Deputy Chief of Mission of FSM's Embassy to Japan;
6. Jeem S. Lippwe (CR no. 122), was also confirmed 12/0, as the Deputy Chief of Mission of FSM's Permanent Mission to the United Nations; and
7. James A. Naich (CR no. 123), in a vote of 11/1, was confirmed as the Deputy Chie of Mission of FSM's Embassy in Washington DC.
In addition to the foreign affairs nominations, the 15th Congress also confirmed the following Board of Directors nominations for MiCare, the National Oceanic Resource Management Agency (NORMA) and for the recently created FSM Petroleum Corporation (FSMPC).
8. Arthy G. Nena (CR no. 15-95), was confirmed 12/0, to be the National Government's representative on the MiCare Board;
9. Ricky Carl (CR no. 15-104), in a vote of 10/3 was confirmed as Pohnpei State's representative on the NORMA Board;
10. Yalmer Helgenberger (CR no. 15-93), was confirmed in a vote of 11/1 to be one of the two Private Sector representatives on the Board of FSMPC; and
11. Redley Killion (CR no. 15-97) in a 10/2 vote was confirmed as the other Private Sector representative on the FSMPC Board.
The 15th Congress however defeated in a vote of 6/6, the nomination of Rensely Sigrah (CR no. 15-92) as the National Government's representative on the NORMA Board.
Today's session finally completed the President's Cabinet line-up, which as was conveyed to the Congress, is part of the reorganization scheme to be undertaken by the Mori Administration. It also addressed the concerns registered by various bodies of national Board of Directors.
While Congress confirmed the above nominations, several more are still awaiting their turn on the floor.
For further information on this release, please contact:
Congress of the Federated States of Micronesia Public Information Office P.O Box PS-3 Palikir Station, Pohnpei, FM 96941 Tel.: (691) 320-2324/2325 Fax.: (691) 320-5122 e-mail: email@example.com http://www.fsmcongress.fm