Government of the Federated States of Micronesia

FSM Secretary of TC&I Visits Yap State

Palikir, Pohnpei (FSM Information Services): January 4, 2010 - In a courtesy and exit briefing this morning with Governor Anefal and Lt. Governor Tareg, Secretary Francis Itimai of the FSM Department of Transportation, Communication & Infrastructure said his team has completed its mission to inspect the Yap airport apron project. Secretary Itimai told the Governor that the project is 98% complete and is expected to be turned over to the State early next year. The remaining 2% work left to be done is final paper work for the contractor.

With the completion of the work, commercial flights now do not need to be towed in to safe parking.

Secretary Itimai also stated his team was able to follow up on the ARFF and airport rehabilitation projects currently ongoing and reported their progress. He said the ARFF project completion should be expected early next year. The plan is to have both the ARFF and the apron project officially turned over to Yap State in one ceremony to be held in February 2010. One of the hold ups of this project has been due to a lack of aggregate. In that regard, he said a barge is expected in the next two weeks to bring in needed aggregate to complete the project.

The briefing also included discussions on the States request to the national government to have the MV Hapilmohol1 undergo needed repairs. Secretary Itimai said the request has been forwarded by the Department of Foreign Affairs to the Chinese government and the Department is awaiting their formal reply. He said the Chuuk State vessel will be towed out under a new Chinese grant for repair. The Hapilmohol 1 should follow suit.

Governor Anefal also raised concerns on long pending infrastructure projects including the new ECE center and the Yap Hospital refurbishment. These projects have been on the list for quite some time with no progress. Secretary Itimai responded saying the PMU is again in transition back under his department and he has instructed his responsible staff to visit the state soon so that these projects can move forward.


For further information on this release, please contact:

FSM Office of the President
Public Information: Press, Radio, Video
P.O Box 34
Palikir Station, Pohnpei, FM 96941
Tel.: (691) 320-2548/2092
Fax.: (691) 320-4356
e-mail: fsmpio@mail.fm
http://www.fsmpio.fm/