Government of the Federated States of Micronesia

President Olter Returned to Pohnpei on U.S. Military Air Ambulance

PALIKIR, Pohnpei (FSM Information Service): February 25, 1997 - FSM President Bailey Olter returned to Pohnpei on a U.S. Military C-9 Aeromedical Evacuation Flight that landed at Pohnpei International Airport at about 10:00 Monday morning, February 24, 1997. The president was accompanied by First Lady Amalia and a family member.

On hand to welcome President Olter were Acting President Jacob Nena and his wife Lerina, the honor guard, members of President's Cabinet, FSM Supreme Court's Chief Justice Andon Amaraich, FSM Senators Leo Falcam and Dohsis Halbert, Pohnpei Governor and Lieutenant Governor Del Pangelinan and Dion Neth respectively, Legislature Speaker Bernell Edward and members of the Pohnpei State Legislature, State Supreme Court Chief Justice Judah Johnny, the dean and members of the Diplomatic Corps, other officials and employees of the national, state and local governments, relatives, friends and many well-wishers.

After landing of the C-9 aircraft, the medical crew and attendants made final clearance on President Olter, he was then taken directly from the airport to Pohnpei State Hospital where he will be resting. While at Pohnpei Hospital, doctors will be monitoring Olter's health condition and medications.

The C-9 Aeromedical Evacuation Flight Crew included Captain Lambert, Captain Davisson, Captain Berner and Senior Airman Lufrano; the medical crew included Captain Hayes, Captain Cook, Technical Sergeant Sykes and Staff Sergeant Waithe; and the medical attendants were Major (Doctor) Watson, Captain Topler and Senior Airman Jones, according to official documents.

The flight crews were welcomed by the FSM officials with flower leis and were served refreshments. Gifts of packaged Pohnpei pepper were prepared for the flight crew by the office of the President.

In a brief reception held at the Departure Lounge in honor of the C-9 Aeromedical Evacuation Flight crews, Acting President Jacob Nena expressed deep gratitude and appreciation to the commander and crews for returning President Olter to Pohnpei. Nena expressed the sentiments of both officials and all FSM citizens.

In response, Captain Lambert thanked Acting President Nena for the warm and friendly hospitality that they received.

The C-9 Aeromedical Evacuation Flight departed Pohnpei at around noon on the same day to Guam.

President Olter was evacuated to Straub Medical Clinic and Hospital in Honolulu, Hawaii on July 17, 1996, after he suffered what was termed "a mild stroke." At Straub, he underwent a brain operation to release pressure resulting from a blood clot. He remained there until October 1, 1996, when Olter was further referred to The Institute for Rehabilitation and Research (TIRR) in Houston, Texas, where he reportedly underwent further rehabilitation treatment.

For further information on this release, please contact:

FSM Office of the President
Public Information: Press, Radio, Video
P.O Box 34
Palikir Station, Pohnpei, FM 96941
Tel.: (691) 320-2548/2092
Fax.: (691) 320-4356