FEMA expands Chuuk disaster assistance
DEDEO, Guam (FEMA-FSM Joint Information Center): March 27, 2003 - The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has amended the major declaration for Chuuk State, Federated States of Micronesia to include all categories under Public Assistance, according to FEMA Director Michael D. Brown, Acting Under Secretary for Emergency Preparedness and Response, Department of Homeland Security.
Public Assistance reimbursement funds for emergency protective measures and debris removal costs were authorized under the January 6, 2003 Presidential disaster declaration. These included emergency protective services such as rescue operations, police and firefighter evacuations, providing shelters and emergency care, provisions such as food, water, ice and other essential needs, medicine, and removal of health and safety hazards.
The expanded declaration authorizes assistance to include roads and bridges, water control facilities, buildings and equipment, utilities, recreation facilities and other items. Certain private non-profit (PNP) organizations also may receive assistance. Eligible PNPs include educational, emergency, medical, rehabilitation, and temporary or permanent custodial care facilities, utilities, and other PNP facilities, which provide essential services of a governmental nature to the general public.
Public Assistance allows governments and eligible non-profit organizations to obtain assistance that may include reimbursement of 75 percent of he approved costs not covered by insurance. The remaining 25 percent is the responsibility of the Federated States of Micronesia. Funds will also be available for approved projects that reduce future disaster risks.
For further information on this release, please contact:
FSM Office of the President Public Information: Press, Radio, Video P.O Box 34 Palikir Station, Pohnpei, FM 96941 Tel.: (691) 320-2548/2092 Fax.: (691) 320-4356 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.fsmpio.fm/