Acting President Nena Updates All Governors of Status of the Special Education Fund
PALIKIR, Pohnpei (FSM Information Service): December 12, 1996 - Acting President Jacob Nena communicated to all FSM State Governors on December 12 last year to update them on the status of the Special Education funds.
"Our Department of Education," he sad, "has been advised that the application forms will be sent from the US Department of Education to the FSM Secretary of Education directly. It is our hope that these documents will be completed before January 15, 1997, at which time we will have them forwarded to the appropriate officials in Washington for review and possible funding."
"As you may know, this funding cycle is different from previous years . The 7.2 million dollars set aside is for the entire outlying areas which includes: FAS, Guam, CNMI, and American Samoa. Although these U.S. flag territories have received separate allocations, they may compete for the $7.2 million, if they desire. Because this is a cooperative grant, we do not know for sure how much the FSM will receive or for that matter, if the FSM's application will be successful. It is for this reason that I am asking you to urge your department of education to work closely with the National Department of Education toward the collection of pertinent data for the completion of our application," he said.
Nena said he hoped that the Governors can locate adequate funds from their local resources to continue their Special Education activities until the FSM is being assured of funding from the U.S. Department of Education or the FSM Congress.
For further information on this release, please contact:
FSM Office of the President Public Information: Press, Radio, Video P.O Box 34 Palikir Station, Pohnpei, FM 96941 Tel.: (691) 320-2548/2092 Fax.: (691) 320-4356 e-mail: email@example.com http://www.fsmpio.fm/